Frequently Asked Questions


What should I bring?

  • A current Michigan fishing license. It is best to buy this before you arrive as it is a bit of  a drive to the nearest licensing agent. The easiest way to obtain a license is to visit the Michigan DNR’s licensing agent.
  • Rod selection will depend upon your goals for your trip. A four-weight rod with floating line is the most versatile for trout trips. We will provide terminal tackle.
  • Waders and wading boots. If you have studded boots, they can be extremely helpful.
  • A wading staff is a critical piece of gear to ensure safe stream crossing.
  • Weather-appropriate clothing to include rain gear.
  • Polarized sunglasses.
  • Personal items including sunscreen, insect repellent, and medications.

What type of fishing is available?

Stream and river fishing for trout is our bread and butter. Depending upon your fitness level, we may find ourselves miles from the nearest road chasing fish who may not have seen a single fly all season.

Is lodging available?

There is limited lodging available in the area and we can give you contact information.

Nondiscrimination Notice

As a licensed outfitter in the Ottawa National Forest, the U.P. Fly Angler supports the nondiscrimination policies of the U.S. Department of Agriculture as listed below:

“The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, status as a parent (in education and training programs and activities), because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or retaliation. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs or activities.)”
Website Builder